31 August 2013

October 19th: Palas de Rei to Ribadiso/Arzua (26 kilometers):

Part Two

               After lunch was over and my plate cleaned, I spent some minutes watching the owner of the restaurant cook his famous pulpo in a giant pot in front of a window open to the street.  He was a large man, bald, full of energy and drenched in sweat, gleefully shaking boiled cephalopods at the people passing by.  I wasn’t sure about his marketing strategy, but I guess if octopus is your thing…
              
               Lotus and I walked on; I said my goodbyes for the afternoon and moved through Melide quickly.  I wanted to be certain to see one of the oldest cross monuments in Iberia still preserved at a crosswalk, but I was also eager to get back to the contemplative countryside and away from the tourists.  At this point in the Camino it was becoming more and more difficult to tell the day-trippers from the pilgrims who’d walked the whole Way.  Some were easy to spot – their frantic movements, matching unblemished daypacks and unbroken boots giving them away – but there were also plenty of faces that were just unfamiliar, faces I couldn’t be sure I hadn’t passed 200 miles before or slept across from in some meseta albergue.  I was anxious for quiet, for small gatherings. 



               Melide was beautiful, I’ll grant you.  Palm trees sprouted up in the little squares and parks, and there were twisting stone alleys branching off the main thoroughfare that I did take some time to explore. 

               By ‘explore’ I meant get lost.  I did go in search of the church, hoping to stop for a rosary or afternoon mass, and although I could easily see the spires and the cross reaching up above the buildings around me, it seemed that street after street either took me away from where I wanted to go or deposited me back on the Way.  It felt like a scene in a film where the protagonist winds his way through a garden maze or labyrinth, unable to escape.  The Way kept coming back to find me, and I felt no fear or panic, not even frustration, only a sense of amusement and acceptance of the message I’d received.  I’d gone in search of a cathedral, of quiet reflection and simplicity, and found only the path, with its’ dirt and noise and joy.  I can be content with that, I think. 



               I did make my way out of Melide, crossing the 50 kilometer mark on my way to Ribadiso/Arzua.  The Camino markers were becoming more and more marked with graffiti, but I’d come to love the scribbles and tags of other pilgrims.  Let me underline this observation – the Camino de Santiago is by no means a pristine route, an unmarked path.  I’ve read many complaints on message boards about the trash, the asphalt sendas approaching a major city, the graffiti, and the roadside altars.  It’s true.  All of those things exist in abundance.  Walking the Camino is in no way similar to the AT, or any other long wilderness trail. 



               I love the graffiti, the sheer evidence of other pilgrims.  I love that in our search for elevated faith, for a pilgrim’s experience, we were gross, and dirty, and sloppy, and unavoidably human.  I adore our common filthiness, our hard edges and heavy smells.  So there. 



               The suburb soon turned back into farmland and the weather was sunny and pleasantly cool, reminding me strongly of early fall in North Carolina.  I remember walking along curvy dirt roads next to busted wood fences that looked just like those I’d walked along as a child.  The Way took me to a small stream next to which was a picnic table and my friend Katie from Virginia, lounging in her hat and purple shirt.  We decided to walk the rest of the way to Arzua and she told me she was meeting Mandie and Melissa there; it was easy to fall in with her and I was looking forward to some banter in English, some human interaction to bring me out of my head and into the joyful present. 



               Arzua wasn’t much more than a spot in the road; there was the municipal albergue crouching over the river just across a stone bridge; I could see pilgrims lying in the grass on the bank underneath drying laundry smoking cigarettes.  Katie and I walked on and stopped into a private hostel called Caminantes slightly up the hill; I immediately committed my 10 euros based on the beautiful wood beams, washer/dryer, and the beautiful girl behind the desk.  Katie and I made a plan to split laundry later and I got myself situated in a back room and tried to sort out the shower situation.  The bathroom was somehow situated between three different rooms, each with their own entrance, and hosted both shower stalls with open ceilings and toilets.  I could not discern if it was male, female, or both, or even if I was supposed to lock the door.  I figured it didn’t matter all that much and hopped into one of the shower stalls. 



               Before I was done, someone got into the one next to me.  It was a woman; she was talking.  I presumed she was talking to me, in English, so I spoke back, “Hello, yes?”.  No response, but her conversation continued, unaltered.  It was Lotus, and she was either talking to herself or singing along to some music I couldn’t hear.  I beat a hasty retreat, not wanting to get caught in an unclothed conversation with her or anyone else. 

               Laundry with the Virginians was an event worth remembering – the hostel had one washer/dryer and after we put our things in to dry we had to fend off an older Australian couple from dumping our stuff to make room for their own.  They were shady, looming in the corners and skulking our secadora, ready to pounce.  We held them off, crouched on the couches nearby and talking about ‘planking’, of all things. 

               For dinner everyone in the town seemed to congregate in the one restaurant, a high-ceilinged, stone affair with wide wooden tables and televisions incongruously mounted in the corners like a sports bar back home.  Dinner with the Virginians was good, and hot, and loud – a room filled with familiar faces and rapidly emptying wine bottles, the space filling with the expanding joy of pilgrims close to the end of the Way.  There was a giddiness present, and when we realized the televisions above were playing uncensored footage of what appeared to be bowel surgery, it was all the funnier for it. 



                I walked up the road a way and looked back down on the town, knowing that this would be the absolute last of the village-like stops on the way before the end and my meeting with St. James.  It was almost too perfect, looking downhill at Arzua and feeling the impending conclusion over my shoulder.  There were stars before and behind me as I made my way to the final Compostela.  I imagined the way stretching back all the way to Pamplona, the kilometers and pilgrims stretching out in both distance and history, grateful again for everything that had led me to this moment on the Camino de Santiago.  Impossibly I tried to feel all of it at once, and failed, finding only flashes of faces in laughter, the echoes of struggles and heartaches on the Way, the details floating up to the surface and quickly drifting away.  Perched on the precipice of finishing the physical part of my pilgrimage, I couldn’t help but feel reflective.  I was starting to formulate my opinion of the pilgrimage as the best example of a fully Christian community I’ve ever seen, welcoming all with compassion and kindness, pulling us toward our common humanity, driving us relentlessly toward the spiritual, merciful aspects of our being.  

No comments:

Post a Comment